Topic: Eligibility

Hi - newbie here.  I'm looking for some guidance on the eligibility that you need to meet for IVF or fertility assistance I guess.

Short version of a long story - due to anxiety and fears of falling pregnant again in the past, I elected a couple of years ago to have my tubes done - not tied, but completely removed. I was a single mum of 1 and believed I would never want to go down that road again.

I now find myself with the dilema of having met Mr Wonderful and with us now talking marriage, we would like to know if there's still a possibility of us being able to have a baby together.

I have had someone say to me that couples needed to meet certain eligibilities as well to have IVF?

We are both of good health - I am nearly 34, he is 27. I had never had a problem falling pg before so my eggs should still be good. But I'm wondering if, because I elected to have my tubes removed and with my age, if we are looking at a path which isn't an option.

Any advice would be appreciated as to what we're looking at.

Many thanks

Neamh

Re: Eligibility

Hello Neamh,

Having your tubes removed does not make you ineligible for IVF under WA legislation (the HRT Act). The IVF clinics listed on this site will be able to guide/assist you. If your fertility doctor assesses all else to be well then IVF is an option.

Iolanda

wow - you work alot iolanda, but thank you for your prompt advice.  It's nice to know that it won't be an issue. I've been looking at the Joondalup Clinic at the moment as we are actually in the Midwest of WA so this looks like a promising option and will make contact with them for futher advice.

Will be keeping your site bookmarked, it's proved to be a wonderful source of information. We look forward to seeing your further progress.

Neamh

Hi! I'm new to this site, but would love any feedback. I am 44 and approaching 45 in Aug. Age is obviously a big factor, but I am in a great relationship with my partner(37) who I have been with for 3 years. I have an 11yr old daughter from my previous marriage. Although I never thought I would go down this path again, my partner would love to have a child of his own, and I would love to be able to have another child with him if possible.Having discussed this when I was 41 we just thought we woule see what happened, but nothing has happened and feel that if there is a hope to conceive another child, we should do as much as we can now. My G.P has just written out a refferal for King Edward, but she said there could be a long waiting period.My partner is also going to be checked out at the G.P this week and do the necessary tests. Are we wasting our time(considering my age) I do feel fit and healthy enough to go through it all again, but I just read that they did'nt take women over 41 for IVF treatments. Is this correct?? Any help or advise would be appreciated. Time is of the ESSENCE.  Lea

Hello Shaneolea,

At 44 yrs  I believe you would not be eligible for KEMH public funded services and even if you were eligible the long waiting time to be seen would not be your best interest as you need an opinion from an fertility expert asap (contact Noreen the nurse on 9 340 2222 - West Wing Clinic on a  Monday for confirmation of age/elgibility issues). 

Dr. Graeme Thompson who consults to Concept Fertility Centre (9 382 2388) works with many women in the 42+ age group - he will give you a straight answer about whether it is worth proceeding with any fertility treatment. He works respectfully and sensitively with women in the older age group.

I have also had some really nice patient feedback on Dr. Manju Ambekar who is the newest consultant to Concept and so if it takes a long time to get into Dr. Thompson (and yes time is of the ESSENCE), it would be worth seeing this doctor.

For an alternative clinic - try Hollywood Fertility Centre - 9389 4200 (Dr. Simon Turner or Dr. Julia Barton)

The bottom line is at 44 yrs you don't want to wait on any waiting list for an opinion and seek the earliest appointment that any clinic can offer you.

Best wishes

Iolanda