Topic: IVF and Depression?

I am currently 8 weeks pregnant after IVF and I am feeling a bit flat. I am worried because I have been depressed before and wonder if  IVF will cause me to have depression again???

2 (edited by iolanda 25th-Sep-2010 18:08:38)

Re: IVF and Depression?

Hello BL38

In my clinical experience, a history of infertility and a previous history of depression are both risk factors for a further episode of depression however do not automatically predict you will become depressed.

Given you are feeling "a bit flat" it is important that you seek the assistance from a therapist  who can complete an assessment prior to your baby being born.  It is well known that depression in the antenatal/postnatal period will have an impact on maternal confidence, increased sense of vulnerability and impairment in marital relationship and parent-infant attachment.

Who can help? St. John of God Hospital Raphael Centre (9382 6828) in Subiaco have specific expertise in antenatal/postnatal depression. Make sure you also speak to your GP who will also assist you.
If you are still confused and need further advice about therapists who specialize in this field - please call my practice on 9389 7212.

Iolanda

Hi my name is jodie an im wondering how do me an my partner go about ivf.. i have had my tubes tied an was wonderin how we go about it please?? An the cost to please??

Hello Jodie,

Basically to get IVF treatment you need a GP referral to an infertility clinic - my site outlines IVF clinics. If you check the General Section on the forum you will find some information  about clinic costs - Concept Fertility and Hollwood Fertility Centre have openly advertised their costs and are reasonable bench marks. For more information about which clinic may suit you and your husband's needs based on success rates/clinic costs/location/clinical and counselling expertise an appointment can be scheduled on 93897212.

Iolanda