1 (edited by lolly 31st-Mar-2010 15:26:39)

Topic: public and private

Hi Iolanda

We are currently lucky enough to be having fertility treatments with the KEMH public fertility service, after TTC our first baby for over 3 years. 
I must say It has been a very long and slow process, but I have kept with it because I was told that I would be moved onto IVF which was publicly funded if the iui's didnt work.  I have done everything I am supposed to and had lap  and also a polypectomy and currently undergoing iui with injectable's and nothing seems to work for us. 
After being told by one of the attending consultants there we could put in our application for IVF (which would take 2-3 months for me to be assigned to a Dr) we submitted the paperwork at our last appointment - when I saw a different consultant, who told me it would be put in now and we could so 2 more iui while we waited for our ivf appointment.  This was my choice as I am currently doing one now and was given the option of doing another one, which I said I may aswell do while waiting for the paper work to be processed - so its 2 including this one. 

I am in tears as I am now being told that the form will not be posted until I have done 2 unsuccessful iui's - so then If I am unsuccessful with these IUI's then I will have a 3 month wait for IVF.  I am so upset and feel like there is no one for me to go and ask whats going on - but that is what the Dr said, I wish I had of said no to the iui's when he gave me the option.
I am too scared to complain as I know I should be grateful for the public service, but I feel so torn and stressed out.  We have no private health cover and I just don't know if I am best to just get into debt and go private now or stick with it, I am getting older and its getting more and more depressing watching those around me having their 2nd babies now when I haven't even had my first.  This is so difficult.

Can you offer me any advice as to where I stand with this?  Can I take copies of my file and see a private Dr for a consult without losing my place on the public system?  How long does it actually take for my public paperwork to assign me to a public IVF Dr?
I am so upset and its not doing my iui cycle any good as I want to remain as relaxed as possible (which is kinda easier if you know you have IVF to fall back on).

many thanks

Re: public and private

Hi lolly,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a tough time emotionally at KEMH Public Fertility Clinic. You raise   issues of disappointment, frustration and sadness and yes it must be very tough to watch all those around you being pregnant with their second child- all unfortunately common emotions when going through fertility treatment (it would be the same even if you were going through the private clinics).

Yes - You do have rights to your KEMH notes however there is a process about getting copies made. Also because of my active consultations with all clinics in Perth I can advise you how the private IVF system works and the pros/cons of staying put with KEMH (which I think is a good option as you are already in the system) and/or seeking a second opinion.

Your question about the time frame for starting IVF once you get the KEMH approval for public funded IVF is a difficult one to answer as it is determined by the clinic which will  be providing the treatment - which currently is Concept Fertility Centre - as they have the contract for public funded IVF. So as soon as you get your paperwork signed I would contact CFC on  9382 2388 and ask your question about starting time.

So the bottom line - the catch with the public funded system is the annoyance of the waiting list and eligibility criteria to get onto the system but the upside is the excellent medical treatment by experienced Gynaecologists at Concept's new State of the Art IVF Clinic with the added bonus that you won't have to go into debt.

Hope this information helps and take care.

Regards

Iolanda

3 (edited by lolly 1st-Apr-2010 14:44:22)

thanks Iolanda,
I have made an appointment to see you and I am also going to call Concept and ask them if they have received the IVF paperwork, it was all filled in and signed last Monday, however I feel it is probably sitting in a file in KEMH somewhere and not been sent off sad

thanks so much for your help, I am looking forward to seeing you

Hi Everyone - Thanks for the calls during the week - hope this information summarises things for you.

1) Does a public funded fertility clinic actually exist in Perth?
Yes it does - it is located at King Edward Memorial Hospital, in the West Wing Clinic. It runs only on a Monday afternoon and the delightful clinic nurse coordinator is called Noreen.

2) What is the waiting list?
Unfortunately this is the downside to the clinic. It can take patients at anywhere between 12 months to 18months to get seen for an initial appointment and subsequent reviews can also take a long time to be scheduled.

3) Am I just seen by medical students?
Not at all - there are sensior registrars and consultant gynaecologists who consult to the team. You might even be seen by Dr. Lucy Williams (Medical Director of Concept Fertility Centre) or Dr. Roger Perkins (Hollywood Fertility Centre) both well respected gynaecologists.

4) Can anyone get public funded fertility treatment?
Currently patients requiring egg donation, surrogacy, wanting a second child with their partner or couples who have male factor fertility issues due to vasectomy would not be seen. Noreen the clinic nurse can outline other criteria. Also elgilibility will also be affected by modifiable life factors - if you smoke, are obese or drink excessive alcohol you will need to modify these .

5) Where will I be treated?
All initial assessments and exploratory surgery are conducted at KEMH. Basic fertility treatment such as tracking, timed intercourse and ovulation induction are also done at KEMH. The more complex IVF or ICSI treatments or recipients of donor sperm are referred as public funded patients to the private fertility clinic Concept Fertility Clinic www.conceptfert.com.au .

6) As a public funded patient at a private clinic will I be treated differently?
Absolutely not - all patients (private or public) are treated equally and with the highest regard. All patients are treated with the same standards of medical and nursing interventions. At Concept you are not seen by medical students but by senior consultants.

Hi,
I visited my GP requesting to be placed on the public waiting list for IVF.  She completed a form and said it would be faxed to KEMH.  So far I haven't heard anything.  Am I supposed to get a letter (or something) confirming that I am on the waiting list?
Thanks,
Jodie

Hi Jodie,

You should get a letter stipulating the date of your appointment however if you are concerned, telephone KEMH and ask to be put through to the West Wing Clinc. It would be best to call on a  Monday afternoon when all the dedicated fertility clinic staff are present.

Best of luck
Iolanda